• Bio •
Draconis (Drake) is an queer-ass performer with who can't pick a gender, and also suffers from dance commitment issues. They discovered their taste for belly dance in 2008 with the Isis Studio in Bedford, Texas, which only further enabled their addiction to fringe dance styles, including West African, twerk, Samba, modern, jazz, and so on. There is no cure.
Draconis has been curating their 'Eclectic Fusion' dance style for nearly a decade — a dance philosophy and method for creating fusion that involves cross-training, academic study, and movement analysis. The method for Eclectic Fusion is optimized to help dancers find their own voice within their dance, which includes learning different movement qualities, quantifying movement patterns, and applying the created movements to your dance practice.
Outside the world of dance, Drake continues to take dance classes in and out of college. After a handful of competitions and pushing himself to get his name out in the belly dance world, Drake works hard every day to further their dance career and imprint on the community.
Draconis is also a niche in the belly dance community with their transgender identity, being one of the few 'out' and practicing professional transgender belly dancers. Drake takes pride in cultivating an understanding and sensitivity towards the trans community within the realm of belly dance, and offers an in-depth lecture on the topic: "The Non-Binary Performer's Survival Guide". In you're interested in booking this lecture for your event, please send an inquiry under the 'Hire Draconis' tab!
- Headliner: Dallas School of Burlesque, "Sensual Belly Dance for Burly Dancers"
- Headliner: Girls Room, "Bring Your Sexy Back"
- Guest Instructor: Ya Halla, Y’all 2014, “Dancing with Dubstep”
- Guest Instructor: Austin Belly Dance Convention 2015 & 2016, “Trappings of Tribal”, “Eclectic Fusion Combos”
- Headliner: Belly Dancer of the Year Pageant 2015, “Eclectic Fusion Drum Solo”
- Guest Instructor: Las Vegas Belly Dance Intensive 2015 & 2016, “Eclectic Fusion Combos”, “Twerkshop”
- Featured Instructor: Hawaii Belly Dance Convention 2015, “Musicality and Syncopation”
- Guest Instructor: 3rd Coast Tribal 2016, “Twerkshop”
- Headliner: Wild Sky Tribal 2016, "Performance Aesthetics", "Fluidity & Isolations"
- Guest Instructor: Austin Belly Dance Convention 2016, "Intro to Eclectic Fusion"
- Headliner: Rockport Raqs 2016, "Twerkshop", "Eclectic Fusion Combos"
- Headliner: Texas Queerlesque Festival 2016, "NB Performer's Survival Guide"
- Featured Instructor: Migrations 2017, "Twerkshop", "Powerful Movements"
- Featured Instructor: East Coast Classic 2017, "Eclectic Fusion: Explosive Track", "Twerkshop"
- Guest Instructor: TribalCon 2017, "NB Performer lecture"
- Guest Instructor: Bayou Belly Festivale 2017, "Powerful Layers"
- Featured Instructor: Phoenix Rising Dance Fest 2017, "Powerful Layers" "Eclectic Fusion Combos" "Stage Hair and Makeup"
- Featured Instructor: Migrations 2018, "Trans and Nonbinary Performer Survival Guide" "Eclectic Fusion Combos" "Powerful Layers
• Highlights •
- 1st Place 2014, Tribal Soloist of the Year
- -1st Place 2014, Tribal Soloist Mx Congeniality Award
- 1st Place 2014, Tribal Ensemble of the Year with Pomegranate Vibrato
- 1st Place Ya Halla 2013, Tribal Pro
- 1st Place Ya Halla 2011, Rising Star
- 1st Place Shimmy Showdown Star and Crowd Favorite, 2012
- 1st Place Ya Halla 2012 Fusion Duet
- 2nd Place Mr Rakstar, 2012
- 2nd Runner Up SYTYC Belly Dance, Las Vegas 2014
- Official cast member for Confessions of a Belly Dancer tour.
- Member of Whiskey Tongue Burlesque troupe
- Member of Panty Raid Productions queerlesque troupe.